When you bake this gingerbread recipe from Netmums, the smell of it wafting around your house will be just wonderful.
A gingerbread man is great for packed lunches or just as a snack. This recipe makes about 20 biscuits and it isn't just for Christmas, you can bake them all year round.
Ingredients (serves 8+)
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat oven 190'C/Gas mark 5
- Put the flour, ginger and soda into a bowl and rub in the butter
- Add sugar and stir in the syrup and egg to make a firm dough
- Roll out to about 5mm thick and cut out your gingerbread men
- If you don't have a gingerbread man cutter then use whatever you have - stars and hearts are just as tasty
- Put a sheet of baking paper on a tray and evenly space out the biscuits, bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to firm up for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack to cook
- Once cooled, decorate with icing
- Makes approximately 20 biscuits
Handy Tip: Refrigerate the uncooked, cut biscuit shapes on a baking tray prior to cooking. About 15 minutes in the fridge is long enough to ensure your gingerbread biscuits retain their shape during baking and don't spread out too much.